Thursday, September 1, 2011

Other digital histories

The first online digital history resource I'd like to share is The Texas Legacy Project. You can find it here. I'm familiar with the site through my connection to environmental history. When you go to the page, you'll discover that the Texas Legacy Project is actually a part of a much grander digital history treasure trove from the Briscoe Center for American History at the University of Texas at Austin. You can get to the main site here. Does that count as two? Probably not. :-)

My second choice is something a little closer to home for me. It's the Florida Library History Project. To be honest, I didn't even know this existed until I got to rummaging for this assignment. The site is hosted by the University of South Florida in Tampa and is a collaboration of libraries throughout Florida. I did a little bit of rummaging and was quite impressed with the content. This link takes you to the Collections by Subject page, which gives you an idea of what is available. It's a shame I'm not an historian of Florida!

My third selection is a site I have made use of in my own research. It's nothing fancy, but the image gallery of the Lancashire Lantern in England has proven invaluable to me. I was actually able to use one of the photographs in my master's thesis last year.

Since I'm dabbling in England, I can't possibly not mention The National Archives. Its site keeps growing. It not only contains some digitized documents, but also such offerings as podcasts, educational elements, and RSS feeds. It's definitely worth a look.

I know there is more to this assignment, but for now I'm just leaving you with the links. I'll address the rest later. Right now, I should probably go to bed. It's nearly midnight!

2 comments:

  1. These are great! I'll be spending much more time wandering through all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the National Archives! They have tons of documents on the British Mandate of Palestine. It really is a great digital archive.

    ReplyDelete